The following are half-thoughts that I’ve written down, with the intent making a full post for. But after some time, I realized there just isn’t that much content for these. So I’ll just write out my thoughts and see where it takes us.
- In high school, it was rumored that I broke Brandon Brown’s pinky during football practice. It was said that while matched up against him during a passing play, that I slapped his hand while he try to catch the ball, which made it so it hit his pinky. First off, I am flattered that people thought I could keep up with him and even guard him properly. And for the record, no I didn’t slap his hand; it was just a poorly thrown ball from a coach with a lot of sun in our eyes.
- I enjoy group-effort games. This explains why I only enjoyed Mario Party for the team mini games and Halo, Gauntlet, X-men legends or games like those for the co-op adventures. Especially if it’s player vs. environment as it subtracts the variable of another team that loses. Video games aside, this is why I also enjoy escape rooms and board games such as Pandemic.
- There was one year where I went to China with extended family and unfortunately, all of our luggage went onto the wrong plane. So, not too long after we landed, we made our way to a store similar Walmart or Costco and bought clothes and toiletries. It was an interesting experience wearing clothes made for the local peoples. Even though it was the middle of Summer, it was impossible to find short sleeved shirts, so we ended up buying scissors to cut the sleeves off and use them as undershirts. We found the jean pockets were too small and shallow to hold anything significant and everything seemed to have a weird starchy feeling to it.
- During CSM, we were split into groups of 3 to roam the streets of Downtown LA to converse and interact with the homeless. It was Matt, Peter and me as we came across a man. He might have been a war veteran caught on tough times just based off of his apparel and overall demeanor. At one point we bring up the gospel and he tells us he knows about it, but lost his Bible. Peter then offers him his own Bible to keep. He thanks us and turns to show us his favorite verse:
“Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it.”
-Hebrews 13:12We part ways and realize that we forgot to tell him about the Union Rescue Mission. So Matt and I run a block or two to where he was to tell him and he’s not there. And there’s that brief moment where we thought “hmm.. Was he an angel?”. Or maybe he left on a bus. Who knows?
- It’s well known that I used to play League of Legends under the moniker of gimsh. Some of the greatest memories I have with the game aren’t necessarily the victories and achievements, but the times I was able to play with friends. Notably, I spent a considerable time playing with iSpecialist, negxalt, wrekhavok, BenGmite, hapanese, khat23, KuyaLes, RECKLESSWAG and smoh (Lauren). It’s notable because for the longest time, I just knew them as Lauren’s friends from Long Beach or the Long Beach guys. We knew each other’s voices because we would be communicating through Skype. We joked that we refused to meet in person (there were a couple opportunities) because then it would destroy the magic and mystery of it all.
- Meet the Robinsons is a terribly underrated movie. I especially liked the theme of repeating “keep moving forward”. I actually printed out that quote and put it up in my dorm room to keep me motivated during sophomore year in college. It would have been nice to look ~20 years into the future to see that everything was going to be okay, but it wasn’t necessary.
- It bothers me how dependent people are on their smartphones. I know there are a handful of justified reasons and rather than go on a tirade, I’ll just leave this video here to chew on.