Day 3: Gaginang in Chinatown

2/17/15, Tuesday

Today was our last morning in Pattaya.  We woke up and had another breakfast by the ocean.  The meal was supposed to be light, because we were going to have a buffet lunch later that day.


After breakfast we took some time to bask in the coolness of this resort.  Once more, my uncle showed us length and breadth of the hotel.  He took us down to the beachfront and showed us some good photo spots.  We took advantage.

IMG_2759 IMG_2756

Near the beach, I saw the vast ocean and decided to take a Stu pic.


I think he would be proud.

We said farewell to Pattaya as we packed up our things and left for Bangkok.  After two hours of driving, we arrived at Narai Hotel, where we were to have lunch at Rabiangthong Restaurant.  This buffet was highly regarded by my mom and my uncle, they had been talking about it since before we left for this trip.  So naturally, the rest of us got excited.  Here’s a play by play of what I ate.

IMG_2768 IMG_2769 IMG_2770 IMG_2771 IMG_2772

All in all, I was mildly amused.  Perhaps it was because it was so hyped up, but I didn’t think it was all that great.  I will say that the duck noodle soup was pretty good though.  It was the only thing I had to get another serving of.

We headed to the Holiday Inn we were to stay at to unwind a little bit.  To our disappointment, the bathrooms were for married people again..


At least the windows were smaller.

This hotel was conveniently located in the middle of the city, next to a handful of shopping centers and malls.  So, we walked to the nearby Central World to explore the 6 floors of shops, foods and goodies.

We headed to Asiatique afterwards to meet up with my uncle, for he had business to attend to around that area.  It was another shopping plaza, but located by a river.  So I had a chance to snap this picture:


We hung around till just before nightfall, where we then headed to Chinatown.  It was the night before the princess of Thailand was going to visit, so there was tons of traffic.  Aside from the regular vendors that filled the streets, decorations and tents were being prepped, for there was going to be a parade and ceremony for the princess’s arrival.  Because of that parade, and because this Chinatown is closed on Thursdays, this was our only day we could go.

IMG_2783IMG_2780 IMG_2782 IMG_2781

After swimming through the crowds a bit, we settled on this one vendor to have dinner.  Street food is always good.  The pad see-ew was reminiscent of my previous visits to Thailand.

IMG_2786 IMG_2787 IMG_2788 IMG_2789

As it turns out, most of the vendors in Chinatown actually speak Teochew and/or are fellow Gaginang.  So it was nice to be able to communicate without a language barrier for a change.

When we came back that evening, I had a chance to run in the hotel fitness center.  Unfortunately for me, the treadmills were basic compared to the ones at the other hotel (no screen, few settings, small user interface).  So I’m not sure how much I actually ran; the treadmill caps a timer at an hour and the speed and distances are just arbitrary numbers.  It was a mental battle to not just quit 15-20 minutes into my run.  I sang songs in my head to keep myself distracted.

By day’s end, the Thai dating service number increased to 26.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s